Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Confessions of a Ghostbuster.

                                                                                                        


     For my girlfriends birthday last year I bought her a Nintendo Wii. I was always big on Nintendo as a kid, up to the Nintendo64 era. I never owned a Gamecube because at that point it seemed that other video game systems were evolving a lot faster than Nintendo, case in point both XBOX and PS2 played DVD's while Gamecube would not even fit a DVD in its drive. Also Nintendo games continued to be very kid-friendly, while other systems were releasing more adult games such as Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and God of War.

     So Nintendo sort of fell to the wayside for me, and to be honest while I was a little intrigued by the motion-interaction concept of the Wii, I wasn't terribly excited about it. That opinion has certainly changed. While new systems boast crazy open ended blood baths with High Definition graphics, there is one aspect of video games that I almost forgot about. How fun they are to play. Ten minutes of New Super Mario Bros Wii and I was 10 years old again, jumping, running, agonizing every time I couldn't pass a level. My girlfriend now gets jealous because she says I play her system more than she does. Heck, I haven't even taken my Xbox360 out since last October when I bought this for her. But this is not the point of my story.

   In my unending quest to find good games for the Wii, I have been doing a bit of searching. Most of the games I have been playing have been recent releases, but the other day I started looking back a couple of years to see what I might have missed. Lo and Behold while looking through reviews I noticed that underneath the radar a couple years ago they came out with a Ghostbusters game for the Wii. Now I played the original Ghostbusters game for NES, and let me tell you that that game was one of the biggest pieces of crap I have ever played. It was just god awful, if you don't want to take my word for it hunt yourself down a copy and try. Believe me, there is no possible way any person of reasonable capacity could find anything of value within that game. The new game for the Wii seemed to hold a lot more promise. It was in essence a sequel to the Ghostbusters films, with all the actors from the movies doing the voices, and you playing as the new Ghostbuster. So I got the game, and sure enough ten minutes in....... I was ten years old again! It was Peter Venkman, Ray Spangler, Egon, Winston, and ME, the fifth Ghostbuster! Take that Rick Moranis!!  I know what you are thinking, "So you played Ghostbusters, great for you, why should I care?".

      Well it was about this time that my girlfriend comes home. I say look baby its Ghostbusters, they're all here, this is so awesome. And this is when she drops the bombshell on me. She tells me "I'm not sure who these guys are". WHAT!?? So come to find out my girlfriend, who is in her mid 20's, has never seen nor is she the slightest bit familiar with the Ghostbusters movies! This simply will not stand. Not only this, but apparently she never saw Beetlejuice or Edward Scissorhands either. Madness you say? I know, you don't need to tell me. It seems she was very impressionable and easily scared as a child and so her parents avoided movies about Ghosts or spooky things, and as she got older it never really occurred to her to seek such things out. Well worry not, general public. For as we speak I am in the process of procuring a Ghostbusters 20th Anniversary DVD set in order to help educate our poor victim of quality film deprivation. Help is at hand. Next on the agenda, Tim Burton's first and last good films.

No comments:

Post a Comment